Thursday, May 16, 2013

Why I decided not to run my half marathon...

Sadly, Today I have come to the conclusion that I will NOT be running a half marathon this fall. The decision was a hard one to make because I am putting my body first, although it feels like I am also failing my body at the same time. The reason why I have decided to cancel my training and not run is because of my left knee. My knees have been pretty bad for years because of many hours of volleyball practice when I was very overweight. The constant jumping, sprawling, diving and blocking with 200 pounds of weight on my body did pretty bad damage on my knees and I have been paying for it ever since.

 I also seem to have a curse whenever I train for races. The first half marathon I ran, I hurt my achilles a week before my race and ran on it anyways, which put me out for 6 weeks, which led to weight gain. Then this past fall while training for the LA full marathon, I broke a tiny bone on the top of my right foot, which led to weeks of inactivity, which also led to weight gain AGAIN.. which led to a bad few months of binge eating (as talked about in older posts).

I guess what I'm trying to say is I love to run, and always will. But right now I am putting my knees first and my pride second. I know my body will be thanking me for it later.

1 comment:

  1. I understand completely. Same thing happens to me. Mostly shin splints. And I injured my left knee playing softball back in high school. Hope you have a fast recovery! It makes all the difference to meeting goals. You're still doing great!

    ReplyDelete